We protect your privacy in line with the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act), including the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs). This policy explains how and why we collect, use, hold and disclose your personal information.
Information we collect
We collect information about you and your interactions with us, for example, when you use any of our tools or services, participate in any of our projects, call us, sign up to our mailing list, visit our website or interact with our social media pages.
When you visit our websites, our web measurement tools and internet service providers record information including:
- your server and IP address
- the name of the top level domain (for example, .gov, .com, .edu, .au)
- the type of browser used
- the date and time you accessed the website
- how you interacted with our website
- the previous website you visited
We call this “Technical Information”.
If you prefer not to receive cookies, you can adjust your browser settings. However, you may not be able to use the full functionality of the website.
When you use any of our tools or services, participate in any of our projects, call us or sign up to our mailing list, the personal information we collect from you may include your name, email address, postal address, details of your employer and your role, details of your use of our tools and services and details of any enquiries or complaints you make.
We will collect most personal information directly from you when you interact with us however in some cases it may be collected from third parties, such as your employer.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, you may not be able to our tools or services, participate in any of our projects, call us or sign up to our mailing list and we may not be able to communicate with you or respond to your enquiries.
Why we collect it and how we use it
Technical Information helps the Council understand how our websites are being used. This helps us improve our websites and provide you with a better experience. We may also use Technical Information to provide targeted advertising to you and to make policy decisions.
We collect hold and use other personal information you provide to us for a range of purposes, primarily to:
- enable the delivery of information and manage our relationship with you
- provide you with access to our projects, services and tools
- contact you, for example, to respond to your queries or complaints, or if we need to tell you something important
- send marketing information to you
- comply with our legal obligations and assist government and law enforcement agencies or regulators.
Sharing your personal information
The Council works with a number of third parties in order to undertake projects and develop tools and services for the Aged Care sector. If you participate in any of our projects or use any of our tools and/or services, your personal information may be shared with such third parties to enable the operation of those projects, services or tools.
We may also disclose your personal information to our external service providers so that they may perform services for us or on our behalf, including ICT and other technical services (including website hosting services) and advertising and marketing agencies.
The information generated by cookies may be transmitted to and stored by third party providers such as Google, who may use this information for the purpose of compiling reports on website activity for us (and/or advertising agencies engaged to act on our behalf).
Outside of this, we may also disclose personal information to third parties if:
- you give us permission
- it is authorised or required by law
- we are otherwise permitted to disclose the information under the Australian Privacy Principles.
[We do not knowingly disclose your personal information to recipients outside of Australia, however our third party service providers may need to access your personal information from outside of Australia in order to provide services to us.]
How we store information
We store personal information in different ways, including:
- in document and records management systems operated by either us or our external service providers
- cloud storage solutions operated by our external service providers
- browser storage
- in paper files that we store securely.
We apply a range of security controls to protect the personal information we hold from unauthorised access, disclosure, misuse or loss. However, you should be aware that:
- the internet is an unsecure public network
- there is a risk that your transactions (including emails) may be seen, intercepted or modified by third parties
- downloadable files may contain computer viruses, disabling codes, worms or other devices or defects.
Accessing and correcting your information
You can request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. You can ask us to update it if it is incorrect, inaccurate or out-of-date. You can also request to be removed from our contact list. Please contact us to make an enquiry.
We will respond to your requests to access or correct personal information or unsubscribe in a reasonable time and will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you remains accurate, up to date and complete.
If you believe that we have breached the Privacy Act or you have any other complaint about the way in which we have handled any privacy issue, please contact us. Please provide as much information as possible so we can investigate and respond.
- let you know that we have received your complaint
- do our best to respond within 30 days of receiving your complaint. If we can’t respond within this timeframe we will let you know
If you do not feel we have satisfactorily resolved your issue or would like any guidance, you can contact the OAIC.
Changes to this policy
From time to time, we may change our policy on how we handle personal information or the types of personal information which we hold. Any changes to our policy will be published on our website.
You may obtain a copy of our current policy from our website or if you contact us.