As a Council, we understand we must build trust and confidence in our leadership of the industry, through open and honest communication, providing a line of sight for the workforce, as well as older people, their families and the broader community to our strategic priorities and goals.
Looking to the future, the aged care industry requires key enabling infrastructure to support improvements in workforce capability, care quality and effectiveness.
This absence of well-supported, cohesive infrastructure – and poor connectivity with the health, disability and other adjacent sectors such as education and training – poses a significant and continuous risk to the efficiency, and importantly to the quality, of aged care services.
The Council is committed to cross-portfolio collaboration – and has mapped stakeholders critical to achieving our objectives. We also acknowledging this broad level of engagement will require an intensive effort, and must be issues driven.
To uphold our commitment to transparency, the Council is committed to publishing communiques from our meetings.
These short summaries allow to you share in the Council’s journey:
- ACWIC Communique May 2021 -Bring Your Thing to Aged Care
- ACWIC Communique March 2021- The Strengthened Case for Aged Care Workforce Reform
- ACWIC Communique February 2021 – Codifying a path to reform
- ACWIC Communique 3 December 2020 – 2021 and Beyond – Council Roadmap
- ACWIC Communique 5 November 2020 – Moving in the Right Direction
- ACWIC Communique 1 October 2020- Setting the Scene for the Future
- ACWIC Communique 10 September 2020 – Commending Workforce Resilience
- ACWIC August 2020 communique – Driving Australia’s aged care workforce strategy
- ACWIC July 2020 communique – Providing leadership through a Voluntary Industry Code of Practice
- ACWIC June 2020 communique – A Rising Economic Powerhouse
- ACWIC February 2020 communique – Building Social Capital
- ACWIC January 2020 communique – Planning for a Meaningful Year Ahead
From time-to-time the Council will issue media releases on matters of public importance, and key achievements or personnel changes within the Council:
- ACWIC May 2021 media release- Budget lays the Foundation for Aged Care Workforce Reform
- ACWIC February 2021 media release – New Aged Care Voluntary Industry Code of Practice launched by Minister Colbeck
- ACWIC October 2020 media release – The Code: An Industry Committed to Change
- ACWIC October 2020 media release – BPA Analytics Aged Care Census Database
- ACWIC May 2020 media release – CEO appointment
- ACWIC October 2019 media release – Commitment to the Voluntary Industry Code of Practice
- ACWIC August 2019 media release – Launch of the Council
If you would like to provide information to the Council, or would like to raise a topic for consideration, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions & Statements
The Council has been asked to provide input into review processes, and where possible, we will also make these statements and submissions publicly available:
- March 2021: The Council’s Skilled Migration Submission Report
- March 2021: The Council’s Response to the Royal Commission Report
- October 2020: The Council’s Response to the 2020-21 Budget
- October 2020: The Council’s response to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety: Special Report into COVID-19
- March 2020: The Council’s response to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety (Council Assisting) 11 proposed recommendations on the aged care workforce
- January 2020: The Council’s response to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety first Consultation Paper 1
- September 2019: Deputy Chair’s witness statement to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety
The Council aims to ensure the community understands how the Council, Industry and Government are working together to support the aged care workforce and deliver quality care to older Australians. Podcasts are one way in which the Council can promote its message and respond to some of the key questions the community wants answered.
Key messages issued by the Council can be found here.
Council interviews can be found here.
- June 2021: Workers Encouraged to Join Aged Care Sector
- April 2021: Hello Care: Confessions of an Aged Care Worker
- April 2021: Hello Care: How the Council is driving change in Aged Care
- March 2021: ABC News: Campaign to triple Aged Care Workforce
- September 2020: Inside Ageing: CEO Interview with Rosanne Barrett
- September 2020: Community Care Review: CEO interview with Judy Skatssoon