The intention of this project is to design a workforce structure that will enable the delivery of quality care, in order to meet community expectations that older people should be able to live well.
Designing the future structure of Australia’s aged care workforce
About the project
The Aged Care Workforce Industry Council’s purpose is to provide a unified body to oversee, coordinate and sequence the implementation of ‘A Matter of Care – Australia’s Aged Care Workforce Strategy’. This project supports implementation of Strategic Action 4 – Defining new career pathways including accreditation.
The project will rethink and examine potential job pathways and career options, to lay out a plan for meaningful jobs with a long-term future that will allow workers and volunteers to continue to grow and develop their skills within the sector over time. It will document and define the job roles, career pathways and job families that will be required across the workforce to deliver models of care which holistically address the physical, social and emotional needs of older people.
The Aged Care Workforce Industry Council (ACWIC) has engaged BDO, an independent professional services firm, to assist with the delivery of this project.
The project commenced in December 2021 and we anticipate that it will be completed in 2022.
For more information, please see our February 2022 media release – Aged care sector invited to participate in redesign.
How can I contribute?
You can also follow the links below for opportunities to participate.
The survey on the current state of the aged care workforce has now closed.
To provide your feedback on the future state of the aged care workforce, please fill out this survey.
To attend one of four virtual workshops to hear more about the project and participate in a facilitated discussion, please register via the links below for the session that is most convenient for you:
• Monday 23 May – 10.00am – 11:30am AEST (virtual)
• Wednesday 25 May – 2.00pm – 3:30pm AEST (virtual)
• Friday 27 May – 1:00pm -2:30pm AEST (virtual)
• Wednesday 1 June – 10.00am – 11:30am AEST (virtual)
Why should I get involved?
As a registered stakeholder, you will be kept informed of progress updates and you will be invited to provide your experiences, ideas and feedback. Your input, combined with leading national and international practices will direct the design of the future aged care workforce structure.
What should I expect?
As the project progresses, registered stakeholders may expect to receive the following from us staggered throughout the engagement period in 2022:
- Regular progress updates
- A request for your input in gaining a comprehensive understanding of the current state and emerging trends in the aged care industry
- A request for your input in identifying the key attributes that will determine the future model/s of care
- A request for your input in designing the future workforce structure
- Final report and design of the proposed future structure of the Australian aged care workforce.
- You may contribute to as many or as few of these requests as you like.